Wednesday 3 May 2017

School Of Rock - New London Theatre


The theatrical production is true to the 2003 movie’s story line.  When Dewy is rejected from his rock band he steals his roommates identity and gets a job as a teacher in order to pay his bills. Determined to enter the Battle of The Bands, he converts his students into a rock band. The audience is told right at the start that the children are in fact playing their own musical instruments which saved me some speculation. The talent and energy displayed by the young cast members is phenomenal. Not only are they singing, dancing and playing musical instruments - they’re doing it all whilst putting on American accent. There are three different casts of children and unfortunately I didn’t take note of which cast were performing the night I attended.  The adults held their wn too, notably David Fynn in the lead role.
The show is very loud, crazy and a little wild. Unlike the film version which I found a little irritating, this production left me wanting more. I found myself humming Stick It To The Man days later.  I can truly say that this is unlike anything I’ve seen by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

School of Rock can be seen @ New London Theatre until 12th February 

No comments:

Post a Comment